Discovering and Cultivating the Best in Each Child
Located on site within 9 Seattle Public Schools, CDSA provides children with a foundation for success in school and in life. Our high quality preschool and before and after-school enrichment learning programs are staffed by well-trained teachers, who speak over 10 languages, and reflect the communities we serve. Through hands-on learning in a nurturing environment, we focus on promoting each child’s intellectual and socio-emotional development. Our programs offer expansive learning opportunities to nearly 1,000 children, ages 3-12.
In collaboration with school teachers and parents, CDSA’s staff members take a flexible approach to nurture the intellectual, physical and social aspects of each child. CDSA improves academic achievement through homework completion, strengthened ties with school resources, and supplemental learning beyond the classroom. CDSA improves socio-emotional growth through positive adult mentoring, self expression through the arts, and engaging as a positive member of the community.
CDSA maintains child-teachers ratios which are 30% lower than state requirements. Half of our highly trained teachers have bachelors or masters degrees in education. We operate weekdays, Monday through Friday, from 7am to 6pm.
Over our 33 years of experience in child care, we’ve come to be a leader in our field to promote collaboration and shared best practices between SPS and ‘community based organizations’ (CBO’s). We were part of a task force which evolved the current alignment agreement between SPS and agencies housed within their sites, and we continue to be leaders in advocacy and outreach for Seattle families.CDSA is a licensed 501(c)(3) non-profit organization with funding provided through tuition, grant support and private donations.
- Spends equal time with before and after school enrollees as does the school itself, which positions us to have a deep positive impact in a child’s life.
- Seeks and maintains NAEYC standards of national accreditation– the highest standard of quality measurement available.
- Promotes parent engagement, and acts as a link between parents and their child’s Seattle Public School teachers.
- Employs a highly educated and diverse team of teachers, over half of whom have bachelors or masters degrees in education, who are reflective of the communities we serve.
- Integrates Art, Drama, Music, and Dance into its enrichment curriculum, for enhanced learning through a range of fun activities.
- Collaborates with industry partners including Child Care Resources, Powerful Schools, Schools Out Washington, and Seattle Early Education Collaborative.
- Fosters a world-view learning environment, with 9 languages spoken.
- Provides 1,000 hours of reading time per school year, per student.
- Grows positive relationships between teachers and children from an early age—a foundation for self confidence and success in school.
- Collaborates with Seattle Public School teachers and aligns its curriculum to Seattle Public School grade-level standards.
- Teaches listening, communicating, conflict resolution, teambuilding, and grows overall emotional development
CDSA is dedicated to providing affordable, quality childcare in safe and caring surroundings. We seek to promote each child’s intellectual, physical and social development within our diverse community and with an emphasis on respect for self, others and the environment.
All images c.2010 Heather Trimm photos